Pages

Friday, March 04, 2016

Nines

I look for
nines
everywhere.

My birth month,
my birth date
a multiple thereof,
my year in the century,
yet another multiple
of nine.

The highest digit
to stand on its own.

Perfect multiples
18, 1+8;
27, 2+7,
36, 3+6,
you get it.

Even 9 times 564,821=5,083,389,
which breaks down to
5+0+8+3+3+8+9=36
36 becomes 3+6,
it's damned near magic.

Just before
the odometer
clicks over
into a milestone,
the nine holds on
for just
one
more
moment.

The whole nine yards.
Picking up
a nine-pin spare.
Lennon's #9 Dream.

Thesis, antithesis, synthesis
(count the syllables).

Is there any number
better than nine?

Nein!

8 comments:

  1. Hey Buddah, I'm glad you have the nines in your birthday. I have called nine a magic number, mostly a check. Multiplication any number times a nine or multiple will have the digits adding up to nine when finally the addition comes down to a digit. Reverse for division. But if it doesn't then there is an error.
    I still like 88 better.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is my favorite number. My sister battled a long sickness - she was a few days short of nine. She was so looking forward to being nine as it sounded so grown up. And it is a lovely sounding number, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 9 is a perfect number! I loved how easy it made multiplication.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mein gott, that ending almost made me spurt tea over my iPad :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The wonder of nine..Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I giggled so hard at the end! The sixth stanza is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete